Attended Dar Al Tufula Elementary school in Baghdad. 1960-1965 attended Baghdad College. 1965-1969 attended Al-Hikma University and graduated as a civil engineer. 1971-1991 worked at the Institute of Technology (same campus as Al-Hikma U). 1981-1983 did my Master's in Science degree in Cartography (minor in Remote Sensing) at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Left Iraq in 1991. 1992-2019 worked at Environmental Systems Research Institute (Esri) in Redlands, California as an instructor (teaching the Geographic Information Systems [GIS] software both domestically and internationally). 1996-present worked part-time teaching courses in Cartographic Design and GIS Analysis at local universities around Redlands, California.
- Written 13 books in my different specialties, all published in Arabic and used as textbooks or reference books while I was in Iraq.
- Published a lot of papers and articles in different journals and conferences both in Arabic and English
- Currently, semi-retired: still teaching at local universities 2 courses per year
- Titles: Professor, Cartography and GIS specialist, Associate Editor on Cartography for The British Journal of Maps.
- Hobbies: Calligraphy, cartography, technical illustrator, cartooning, gardening
- Resides in Highland California